You will need:
- 600ml double cream (US readers: 20 oz heavy cream)
- 2 cans condensed milk (the sweetened kind)
- 6 tablespoons / 90ml / 3 oz vodka
Whip the cream until it is stiff. Incorporate the other ingredients. Add whatever else you want (vanilla extract, crushed vanilla pod mess, cocoa powder, cracked nougatine, whatever - be creative). Freeze overnight.
For my first batch of this, I used raspberry vodka and added some grated dark chocolate. It comes out smooth and rich, and is easier to scoop than normal ice cream. There isn't all that much alcohol in the result, but it's just enough to stop those annoying ice crystals from forming.
The really interesting thing about this recipe is the opportunity for variations using other spirits. I'd like to try:
- Mandarin vodka with orange zest
- Bacardi Limon with mint
- Gin with lemon zest
- Gin with unsweetened Morgenthaler's Tonic Concentrate
- Calvados with crumbled bacon
- Citrus vodka with saffron (might not work)
- Cachaça / light rum / dark rum / tequila with lime zest
- Bourbon, chopped cherries and orange zest
- Ruby port (double the quantity, since it has half the alcohol)
You may notice a theme in some of my suggestions. I think many popular cocktail recipes can be easily adapted here.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.